Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels

Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 11 | 12 | (Page 13) | 14 | 15 | .... | 74 | newer

    0 0

                70 years ago on this date, 22 June 1944, the Opening day of the Soviet Union's Operation Bagration against the Army Group Centre was launched. I will post information about it from Wikipedia.

    STALIN'S REVENGE: Operation Bagration and the Annihilation of Army Group Centre (Hardcover) [PHOTO SOURCE:]

    Operation Bagration -- June 22 - August 19, 1944
    Source: US ARMY
    Original Uploaded by GeneralPatton
    License: US Government document. Printed by the Government printing office. Assumed public domain.

    22 June – 19 August 1944
    Soviet Union (present day Belarus, Baltic states), Ukraine, and eastern Poland
    Decisive Soviet victory, near-total destruction of Army Group Centre
    Soviets liberate all of Byelorussian SSR and gains foothold in eastern Poland, placing themselves within striking distance of Berlin.
    Commanders and leaders
    Ernst Busch (to 28 June)
    Initial: 486,493 "frontline strength"[1]
    400,000 support and non-combat personnel[2]
    118 tanks[3]
    377 assault guns[3]
    2,589 guns[3]
    602 aircraft[3]
    In total:[4]
    1,036,760 personnel
    800 tanks, 530 assault guns
    10,090 guns
    1,000 - 1,300 aircraft
    In total:
    Glantz and House:[5]
    1,670,300 personnel
    5,818 tanks
    32,968 guns and mortars
    7,790 aircraft
    2,331,700 Soviets
    (excluding reinforcements)
    79,900 Poles
    2,715 tanks[3]
    1,355 assault guns[3]
    24,363 guns[3]
    5,327 aircraft[6]
    Casualties and losses
    c. 300,000-600,000
    Soviet sources:[7]
    381,000 killed
    158,480 captured
    500,000 casualties
    300,000-350,000 killed or missing (including 150,000 captured)[9]
    26,397 killed
    109,776 wounded
    262,929 missing and captured
    399,102 overall[details][10]
    180,040 killed and missing
    590,848 wounded and sick
    770,888 overall[11][12]

    2,957 tanks and assault guns[13]
    2,447 guns[14]
    822 aircraft[14]

    Operation Bagration (/bʌɡrʌtiˈɒn/; Russian: Oперация Багратион, Operatsiya Bagration) was the codename for the Soviet 1944 Belorussian Strategic Offensive Operation during World War II, which cleared German forces from the Belorussian SSR and eastern Poland between 22 June and 19 August 1944. The operation was named after 18th–19th century Georgian Prince Pyotr Bagration, general of the Imperial Russian Army who was mortally wounded at the Battle of Borodino.

    The operation resulted in the almost complete destruction of an entire German army group, with the loss of Army Group Centre's Fourth Army, Third Panzer Army and Ninth Army. It is considered the most calamitous defeat experienced by the German armed forces during the Second World War. By the end of the operation most of the western Soviet Union had been liberated and the Red Army had achieved footholds in Romania and Poland. German losses eventually numbered well over half a million men killed or wounded, even higher than the toll at Verdun in 1916.

    The Soviet armies directly involved in Operation Bagration were the 1st Baltic Front under Army General Ivan Bagramyan, the 1st Belorussian Front commanded by Army General Konstantin Rokossovsky, the 2nd Belorussian Front commanded by Colonel-General G. F. Zakharov, and the 3rd Belorussian Front commanded by Colonel-General Ivan Chernyakhovsky.

    The objectives of the operation were complicated. The Red Army practiced the concept of Soviet deep battleand maskirovka. One American author suggests that these Soviet innovations were enabled, in part, by the provision of over 220,000 trucks by the United States to motorize the Soviet infantry. It has been suggested the primary target of the Soviet offensive was the bridgehead on the Vistula river in central Poland, and that Operation Bagration was to create a crisis in Belorussia to divert German mobile reserves to the central sectors as a part of maskirovka, removing them from the Lublin-Brest, LvovSandomierz area where the Soviets intended to undertake the Lvov–Sandomierz Offensive and Lublin–Brest Offensive. This allowed the Red Army to reach the Vistula river and Warsaw, which in turn put Soviet forces within striking distance of Berlin, conforming to the concept of Soviet deep operations — striking deep into the enemy's strategic depths.

    Joseph Stalin (left) & Adolf Hitler (right) [PHOTO SOURCE:]

    0 0

                On this date, June 22, 1945, an Imperial Japanese Lieutenant General Isamu Chō, committed seppuku in Okinawa. I will post information about him from Wikipedia and other links.

    General Isamu Chō (Chō Isamu)

    January 19, 1895
    Fukuoka prefecture, Japan
    June 22, 1945 (aged 50)
    Okinawa prefecture, Japan
    Empire of Japan
    Years of service
    1916 - 1945
    Lieutenant General
    Commands held
    Second Sino-Japanese War
    World War II

    Isamu Chō(Chō Isamu, 19 January 1895 – 22 June 1945) was an officer in the Imperial Japanese Army known for his support of ultranationalist politics and involvement in a number of attempted military and right-wingcoup d'états in pre-World War II Japan.

    General Isamu Chō (Chō Isamu) [PHOTO SOURCE:]

    Chō was a native of Fukuoka prefecture. He graduated from the Imperial Japanese Army Academy in 1916 and from the Army Staff College in 1928.

    After he received his commission, Chō was assigned to his first duty outside Japan with the politicized Kwantung Army based in eastern China. He returned to play a very active role in internal politics within the Japanese army, and was an active or indirect participant in the March Incident and the Imperial Colors Incident (with other leaders: Kingoro Hashimoto, Jirō Minami, Sadao Araki for the military, and nationalists Ikki Kita, Shūmei Ōkawa, Kanichiro Kamei, Kozaburo Tachibana and Mitsuru Toyama). He was a founder of the radical "Sakura Kai" secret society, whose aim was to overthrow the democratic government in favor of a state socialist regime which would stamp out corruption.

    At the start of the Second Sino-Japanese War, Chō was commander of the IJA 74th Infantry Regiment of the Shanghai Expeditionary Force, attached to Japanese Central China Area Army, and based in Manchukuo. At the Battle of Nanjing, he was aide-de-camp to Prince Asaka and is thought to have been complicit in ordering the massacre of prisoners of war, but it is disputed whether he obeyed an order from the prince, or whether he acted on his own.

    Chō was subsequently involved in a number of border incidents between Manchukuo and the Soviet Union as Chief of Staff of the IJA 26th Division from 1939 to 1940. In 1940, he was transferred briefly to the Taiwan Army of Japan Headquarters, and then became Chief of Staff of the Indochina Expeditionary Army from 1940 to 1941.

    Chō was Vice Chief of Staff of Unit 82 within the Military Affairs Bureau, in the Ministry of War in 1941, and participated in the strategic and tactical planning for the Japanese invasion of Southeast Asia. From 1941 to 1942, he accompanied the Southern Army to French Indochina to oversee implementation of Japanese strategy, and served as a liaison officer between the Southern Army and the 14th Army in the Philippines.

    From 1942 until 1944, Chō was commander of the IJA 10th Division, a garrison force based in Manchukuo. Promoted to lieutenant general in 1944, he served in the Kwangtung Army Headquarters, and later as commander of the 1st Mobile Brigade.

    In 1945, Chō was Chief of Staff of the 32nd Army during the Battle of Okinawa and masterminded the elaborate underground fortifications around Shuri Castle, but favored a highly aggressive response to the American invasion rather than a passive defense. He persuaded General Mitsuru Ushijima to launch the disastrous 5 May 1945 counteroffensive. He committed seppukualongside Ushijima on 22 June 1945 rather than surrender to the American forces.

    Cho was regarded as an quick tempered, offensive, zealous officer who was known to strike subordinates when angry or frustrated.

    JAPANESE COMMANDERS on Okinawa (photographed early in February 1945). In center: (1) Admiral Minoru Ota, (2) Lt. Gen. Mitsuru Ushijima, (3) Lt. Gen. Isamu Cho, (4) Col. Hitoshi Kanayama, (5) Col. Kikuji Hongo, and (6) Col. Hiromichi Yahara.

    Cho had a reputation for slapping his subordinates and for overindulging in smoking, drinking, and women. He was ruthless in his treatment of the Okinawans, relocating those who could not be evacuated by ship to the wild northern regions of the island and announcing that the Army would seize all food supplies when the enemy landed. "The army's mission ... was to win, and it would not allow itself to be defeated by helping starving civilians" (Drea 2009). His final message included the assertion that "I depart without regret, shame or obligations" (Gilbert 1989).

    Service record


    Lieutenant colonel     
    Chief, 2 Section, Shanghai Expeditionary ForceEdgerton (1997)

    Chief of staff, 10 Army
    Commander, 74 Regiment, Manchuria

    Chief of staff, 26 Division

    Taiwan Army Headquarters

    Chief of staff, Indochina Expeditionary Army

    Vice chief of staff, 25 Army

    Military Affairs Bureau, Ministry of War
    Major general      
    Vice chief of staff, Unit 82

    Head, Southern Army Special Agency

    Southern Army Liaison Officer to 14 Army

    Military Affairs Bureau, Ministry of War

    Commander, Infantry Group, 10 Division

    Kwantung Army Headquarters

    Commander, 1 Mobile Brigade

    General Staff

    Chief of staff, 32 Army
    Lieutenant general      


    Commits suicide at Okinawa

    0 0
  • 06/25/14--15:39: THE NAZI POLICE FORCE: ORPO

  •                 I will post information about the Police Force in Nazi Germany from 1936 to 1945 from Wikipedia and other links.

    Ordnungspolizei commander pennant

    Flag of the Nazi Ordnungpolizei (Orpo) "Order Police", the name for the uniformed regular German police force in existence during the period of Nazi Germany 1936–1945.

    A uniformed German policeman in Berlin, January 1937.

    Agency overview
    26 June 1936
    Superseding agency
    State Police
    Hauptamt Ordungspolizei, Prinz-Albrecht-Straße, Berlin
    401,300 (1944)
    Ministers responsible
    Heinrich Himmler 1936–1945, Chief of German Police
    Wilhelm Frick (nominally) 1936-1943, Reich Interior Minister
    Heinrich Himmler 1943–1945, Reich Interior Minister
    Agency executives
    SS-Oberstgruppenführer und Generaloberst der Polizei Kurt Daluege, Chief of the Ordnungspolizei, 1936–1943
    SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Polizei und Waffen-SS Alfred Wünnenberg, Chief of the Ordnungspolizei, 1943–1945
    Parent agency
    Reichsinnenministerium (Reich Interior Ministry)

    The Ordnungspolizei or Orpo (English: Order Police) were the uniformed regular police force in Nazi Germany between 1936 and 1945. It was increasingly absorbed into the Nazi police system. Owing to their green uniforms, they were also referred to as Grüne Polizei (green police). The Orpo was established as a centralized organisation uniting the municipal, city, and rural uniformed forces that had been organised on a state-by-state basis. Eventually the Orpo embraced virtually all of the Third Reich's law-enforcement and emergency response organizations, including fire brigades, coast guard, civil defense, and even night watchmen.


    Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler was named Chef der Deutschen Polizei im Reichsministerium des Innern (Chief of German Police in the Interior Ministry) on 17 June 1936 after Hitler announced a decree which was to "unify the control of police duties in the Reich". Traditionally, law enforcement in Germany had been a state and local matter. In this role, Himmler was nominally subordinate to Interior Minister Wilhelm Frick. However, the decree effectively subordinated the police to the SS, making it virtually independent of Frick's control. Himmler gained authority as all of Germany's uniformed law enforcement agencies were amalgamated into the new Ordnungspolizei, whose main office became populated by officers of the SS.

    The police were divided into the Ordnungspolizei (Orpo or regular police) and the Sicherheitspolizei (SiPo or security police), which had been established in June 1936. The Orpo assumed duties of regular uniformed law enforcement while the SiPo consisted of the secret state police (Geheime Staatspolizei or Gestapo) and criminal investigation police (Kriminalpolizei or Kripo). The Kriminalpolizei was a corps of professional detectives involved in fighting crime and the task of the Gestapo was combating espionage and political dissent. On 27 September 1939, the SS security service, the Sicherheitsdienst (SD) and the SiPo were folded into the Reich Main Security Office (Reichssicherheitshauptamt or RSHA). The RSHA symbolized the close connection between the SS (a party organization) and the police (a state organization).

    The Order Police played a central role in carrying out the Holocaust. By "both career professionals and reservists, in both battalion formations and precinct service" (Einzeldienst) through providing men for the tasks involved.

    Generalmajor der Ordnungspolizei und SS-Brigadefuhrer Wilhelm Fritz von Roettig was the first general to be killed in World War II, in Opoczno, Poland on 10 September 1939.

    Orpo Chief Kurt Daluege in 1933, as a general in the Prussian Landespolizei.

    The Orpo was under the control of Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler who was the Chef der Deutschen Polizei im Ministerium des Innern (Chief of the German Police in the Ministry of the Interior). It was initially commanded by SS-Oberstgruppenführer und Generaloberst der PolizeiKurt Daluege. But in 1943, Daluege had a massive heart attack and was removed from duty. He was replaced by SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS und der PolizeiAlfred Wünnenberg, who served until the end of the war. By 1941, the Orpo had been divided into the following offices covering every aspect of German law enforcement.

    Regular Police
    • Headquarters (Hauptamt Ordungspolizei) was the central command office of the entire Ordnungspolizei and from 1943 was considered a full SS-Headquarters command.
    • Administration (Verwaltungspolizei) was the administrative branch of the Orpo and had overall command authority for all Orpo police stations. The Verwaltungspolizei also was the central office for record keeping and was the command authority for civilian law enforcement groups, which included the Gesundheitspolizei (health police), Gewerbepolizei (commercial or trade police), and the Baupolizei (building police). In the main towns, Verwaltungspolizei, Schutzpolizei and Kriminalpolizei would be organised into a police administration known as the Polizeipraesidium or Polizeidirektion, which had authority over these police forces in the urban district.
    • State protection police(Schutzpolizei des Reiches), state uniformed police in cities and most large towns), which included police-station duties (Revierdienst) and barracked police units for riots and public safety (Kasernierte Polizei).
    • Municipal protection police(Schutzpolizei der Gemeinden), municipal uniformed police in smaller and some large towns. Although fully integrated into the Ordnungspolizei-system, its police officers where municipal civil servants. The civilian law enforcement in towns with a municipal protection police was not done by the Verwaltungspolizei, but by municipal civil servants. Until 1943 they also had municipal criminal investigation departments, but that year, all such departments with more than 10 detectives, were integrated into the Kripo.
    • Gendarmerie (state rural police) were tasked with frontier law enforcement to include small communities, rural districts, and mountainous terrain. With the development of a network of motorways or Autobahnen, motorized gendarmerie companies were set up in 1937 to secure the traffic.
    • Traffic police (Verkehrspolizei) was the traffic-law enforcement agency and road safety administration of Germany. The organization patrolled Germany's roads (other than motorways which were controlled by Motorized Gendarmerie) and responded to major accidents. The Verkehrspolizei was also the primary escort service for high Nazi leaders who traveled great distances by automobile.
    • Water police (Wasserschutzpolizei) was the equivalent of the coast guard and river police. Tasked with the safety and security of Germany's rivers, harbors, and inland waterways, the group also had authority over the SS-Hafensicherungstruppen ("harbour security troops") which were Allgemeine-SS units assigned as port security personnel.
    • Fire police (Feuerschutzpolizei) consisted of all professional fire departments under a national command structure.
    Auxiliary Police
    • The Orpo Hauptamt also had authority over the Freiwillige Feuerwehren, the local volunteer civilian fire brigades. At the height of the Second World War, in response to heavy bombing of Germany's cities, the combined Feuerschutzpolizei and Freiwillige Feuerwehren numbered nearly two million members.
    • Air raid protection police (Luftschutzpolizei) was the civil protection service in charge of air raid defence and rescue victims of bombings in connection with the Technische Nothilfe (Technical Emergency Service) and the Feuerschutzpolizei (professional fire departments). Created as the Security and Assistance Service (Sicherheits und Hilfsdienst) in 1935, it was renamed Luftschutzpolizei in April 1942. The air raid network was supported by the Reichsluftschutzbund (Reich Association for Air Raid Precautions) an organization controlled from 1935 by the Air Ministry under Hermann Göring. The RLB set up an organization of air raid wardens who were responsible for the safety of a building or a group of houses.
    • Technical Emergency Corps (Technische Nothilfe or TeNo) was a corps of engineers, technicians and specialists in construction work. TeNo was created in 1919 to keep the public utilities and essential industries running during the wave of strikes. From 1937 TeNo became a technical auxiliary corps of the police and was absorbed into Orpo Hauptamt. By 1943, the TeNo had over 100,000 members.
    • Radio protection (Funkschutz) was made up of SS and Orpo security personnel assigned to protect German broadcasting stations from attack and sabotage. The Funkschutz was also the primary investigating service which detected illegal reception of foreign radio broadcasts.
    • Postal police (Postschutz) comprised roughly 4,500 members and was tasked with the security of Germany's Reichspost, which was responsible not only for the mail but other communications media such as the telephone and telegraph systems.
    • SS-Bahnschutz replaced the Railway police within the Reich territory from 1944.
    • Factory protection police (Werkschutzpolizei) were the Security guards of the Third Reich. Its personnel were civilians employed by industrial enterprises, and typically were issued paramilitary uniforms.
    • Urban and rural emergency police(Stadt- und Landwacht) created in 1942 as a part-time police reserve. Abolished in 1945 with the creation of the Volksturm.
    • Schutzmannschaft was the collaborationist auxiliary police in occupied Eastern Europe.
    Special police
    • Railway police (Bahnschutzpolizei) was made up of full-time and part-time police officers who were employees of the Reichsbahn (state railway). The Bahnschutzpolizei was tasked with railway safety and also with preventing espionage and sabotage of railway property. They were not subordinated to Hauptamt Ordnungspolizei, only the Deutsche Reichsbahn.

    Ordnungspolizei conducting a raid (razzia) in the Krakow ghetto, January 1941.

    Police Battalions

    Between 1939 and 1945, the Ordnungspolizei also maintained separate military formations, independent of the main police offices within Germany. The first such formations were the Police Battalions (SS-Polizei-Bataillone), for various auxiliary duties outside of Germany, including anti-partisan operations, construction of defense works (i.e. Atlantic Wall), and support of combat troops. Specific duties varied widely from unit to unit from one year to another. Generally, the SS Polizei units were not directly involved in combat. Some Police Battalions were primarily focused on traditional security roles of an occupying force while others were directly involved in the Holocaust. This latter role was obscured in the immediate aftermath of World War II, both by accident and by deliberate obfuscation, when most of the focus was on the better-known Einsatzgruppen ("Operational groups") who reported to the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (RSHA — Reich Main Security Office) under Reinhard Heydrich.

    The Police Battalions consisted of approximately 500 men armed with light infantry weapons. The battalions were originally numbered in series from 1 to 325, but in February 1943 were renamed and renumbered from 1 to about 37 to distinguish from Schutzmannschaft, auxiliary police battalions recruited from local population in German-occupied areas. The Police Battalions were organizationally and administratively under Chief of Police Kurt Daluege but operationally they were under the authority of regional SS- und Polizeiführer (SS and Police Leaders), who reported up a separate chain of command, bypassing Daluege, directly to Reichsführer SSHeinrich Himmler. While these units were similar to Waffen-SS divisions, they were not part of the Waffen-SS and should not be confused with the 4th SS Polizei Division.

    During the invasion of Poland in 1939, Police Battalions committed atrocities against both the Catholic and the Jewish populations and as security forces patrolled the perimeters of the Jewish ghettos in Poland (SS, SD, and in some cases the Criminal Police were responsible for internal ghetto security issues in conjunction with Jewish ghetto administration). Starting in 1941 Police Battalions and local Order Police units helped to transport Jews from the ghettos in both Poland and the USSR (and elsewhere in occupied Europe) to the concentration and extermination camps, as well as operations to hunt down and kill Jews outside the ghettos.

    Operating both independently and in conjunction with the Einsatzgruppen, Police Battalions were also an integral part of the "Final Solution" in Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union which began on 22 June 1941. Police Battalions, whether as part of Police Regiments or as separate units or reporting directly to the local SS-und-Polizeiführerwere part of the first and second waves of killing in 1941–2 in the USSR and also in killing operations in Poland. Police Battalion involvement in direct killing operations are responsible for at least 1 million deaths.

    The Order Police were one of the two primary sources from which the Einsatzgruppendrew personnel in accordance with manpower needs (the other being the Waffen-SS).

    The majority of police battalions formed 28 Police Regiments as of 1942, many of which saw combat on the Eastern Front during the retreat of the German army.

    The regular military police of the Wehrmacht(Feldgendarmerie) were separate from the Ordnungspolizei.

    Waffen-SS Police Division

    The primary military arm of the Ordnungspolizei was the SS Polizei Division, 4th Panzergrenadier Division of the Waffen-SS. Mainly used as a rear guard and reserve formation, the Polizei Division was historically known as being undertrained and lacking in skilled combat tactics. The division consisted of four police regiments composed of Orpo personnel and was typically used to rotate police members into a military situation, so as not to lose police personnel to the general draft of the Wehrmacht or to the full SS divisions of the regular Waffen-SS.

    Very late in the war several Orpo SS-Police regiments were transferred to the Waffen-SSto form the 35th SS and Police Grenadier Division.

    Troops from the SS Police Battalions load Jews into boxcars at Marseille, France in January 1943.
    Orpo and SS relations

    The Ordnungspolizei was separate from the SS and maintained a system of insignia and Orpo ranks. It was possible for policemen to be members of the SS but without active duties. Police generals who were members of the SS were referred to simultaneously by both rank titles during the war. For instance, a Generalleutnantin the Police who was also an SS member would be referred to as SS Gruppenführer und Generalleutnant der Polizei. In addition, those Orpo police generals that undertook the duties of both Senior SS and Police Leader (Höhere SS und Polizeiführer) gained equivalent Waffen-SS ranks in August 1944 when Himmler was appointed Chef der Ersatzheeres (Chief of Home Army), because they had authority over the prisoner-of-war camps in their area.

    Heinrich Himmler's ultimate aim was to replace the regular police forces of Germany with a combined racial/state protection corps (Staatsschutzkorps) of pure SS units. Local law enforcement would be undertaken by the Allgemeine-SS with the Waffen-SS providing homeland-security and political-police functions. Historical analysis of the Third Reich has revealed that senior Orpo personnel knew of Himmler's plan and were opposed to it.

    Orpo legacy

    At the close of the Second World War, the Orpo ceased to exist; but many of its personnel continued with business as usual, performing police services for the Allied occupation forces. The traditions of the Orpo continued in East Germany, which maintained a state police force (Volkspolizei) designed after the SS structures, being based on a centralized system. In West Germany, the police were decentralized again, as they had been before 1936, with each of the new federal states (called Bundesländer) establishing its own police force Landespolizei, each of which survives to this day. Many Landespolizei regulations, procedures, and even some uniforms, which are green, and insignia, can be traced back to the pre-1936 forces.


    0 0

                On this date, June 26, 1947, a Nazi Nurse, Vera Salvequart, was executed by hanging. I will post the information about this Female Nazi War Criminal from Wikipedia.  


    Vera Salvequart(November 26, 1919 – June 26, 1947) was a Czech-born nurse at Ravensbrück concentration camp from December 1944 to 1945.

    Born in Czechoslovakia in 1919, she moved to Germany sometime afterwards. She was first arrested in 1941 for having a relationship with a Jewish man and for refusing to divulge his whereabouts to the Gestapo. She served 10 months in a prison in Flossenbürg concentration camp for that, and then in 1942, she was again arrested for another relationship with a Jew and served another two years in prison. On December 6, 1944, she was arrested on charges of helping five detained officers escape, and was then sent to Ravensbrück, which had become a death camp for female prisoners at that point in the war.

    Due to a shortage of personnel the SS frequently used German prisoners to supervise other inmates, and Vera was among those chosen to serve, likely due to her pre-war training as a nurse. She served in the camp's medical wing as a nurse during her stay, and oversaw the gassing of thousands of women. Vera's job was to fill out death certificates for the dead, and inspect their cadavers for gold teeth, which were kept to finance the war effort.

    By February 1945, she was reportedly taking a more active role in the killings; now she was poisoning the sickly in the medical wing to avoid the effort of having to transport them to the gas chambers. Though former prisoners testified about this active role, Vera herself would only confess to her earlier duties filling out death certificates at her trial.

    After Ravensbrück was liberated by the Soviet Union in April 1945, Vera was captured, as well as the others who had served there, and held for military trials dubbed the Ravensbrück Trials. At the trials, Vera went on record stating:

    I remember that the sick had no trust in the beginning because they thought that I took part in the mass murdering. I must say that in their place, I would have had the same impression. I was locked up without interruption, couldn't go anywhere alone, and all they knew about me was that I lived there where they murdered so many people. Additionally, the prisoners saw when I entered the washroom in the case of Schikovsky; they heard the woman scream and therefore assumed that I was part of the murder.

    In her own defense, she claimed that she had acted in a benevolent fashion towards the prisoners, and described how she saved some women and children from death by substituting their camp identification number with that of those already dead. She claimed to have kept one infant hidden and had male prisoners bring food and milk for him. For suspected insubordination, she claimed, the SS had threatened to send her to the gas chambers herself, until several male prisoners who appreciated what she did, disguised her as a male prisoner; a guise she kept up until the end of the war at which point the allies found her en route to a camp for released prisoners.


    Salvequart appealed for clemency on the basis of having stolen schematics for the V-2 rockets being produced at the camp prior to 1944, hoping to smuggle it to the British; she was granted a temporary reprieve while this was taken into consideration. However, clemency was denied and on June 26, 1947, she was hanged by Albert Pierrepoint on the gallows at Hamelin Prison, aged 27 years. Shortly afterwards, her body was buried with the other executed war criminals at Wehl Cemetery in Hameln.

    0 0

                On this date, June 26, 2013, a Satanist Killer, Gregory Aaron Kinsey hacked two men to death in Fort Smith, Arkansas with a machete. I will post several news sources on him.

    Mugshot of the Day: Gregory Aaron Kinsey, ‘Misunderstood’

    June 28, 2013 12:45 PM By Cora Van Olson

    Gregory Aaron Kinsey was arrested on June 26, 2013, in connection with the double murders of Nathan Young, 32, and Brandon Prince, 39, who were hacked to death with a machete in Fort Smith, Arkansas. Kinsey’s mother says he is “misunderstood.”

    Kinsey, 20, has no prior arrest record, and did not know the two victims before they allegedly confronted him in an alley as he was returning from a store. The confrontation escalated and Kinsey pulled out the machete and attacked. One witness heard him mention, “Satan that’s within him.” After an eyewitness struck Kinsey on the head with a board, Kinsey fled the scene. He was later arrested at his mother’s house and police found the machete hidden there.

    Kinsey reportedly told police that during the murders he had a “clear mind” and that “it was like he was watching a movie.”

    Police described the murder scene as something “out of a horror movie.” When asked what the motive was, Sgt. Daniel Grubbs of the Fort Smith Police Department said, “You can’t explain evil behavior like that.”

    His mother, Kimberley LeClaire, told that her son is “misunderstood,” that he’s an “outcast,” a “cutter,” and that he is “brilliant.”

    Two Men Dead From Machete Attack

    06/27/2013 10:18 AM
    07/02/2013 12:13 PM

    FORT SMITH, AR -- Two Fort Smith men are dead after being attacked with a machete.

    Police have arrested Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 20, for the murder of Nathan Young, 32, and Brandon Prince, 39.

    Sgt. Daniel Grubbs said it happened around 10:00 p.m. Wednesday evening on North D Street.

    Police said witnesses told them the two men were drinking beer on the front porch when Kinsey walked by the home, carrying grocery bags. Kinsey and the men begin to exchange words and they said that's when Kinsey pulled out a machete and attacked them.

    Witnesses told police Kinsey said something about "Satan being within him" before stabbing the two men.

    Police said Kinsey and the machete believed to be used in the attack were found at a home on South 17th Street.

    Two children, ages 15 and 2, were inside the home at the time.

    Gregory Kinsey has been arrested and transported to the Sebastian County Detention Center and is being held on two Counts of Capital Murder.

    Copyright 2013 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. 

    PHOTO 1 - 5NEWS has obtained photographs that show the inside of Gregory Aaron Kinsey’s home in Fort Smith. The 20-year-old murder suspect is accused of slashing two men to death Wednesday night with a machete. [PHOTO SOURCE:]

    Machete Murder Suspect Jailed on Two Counts of Capital Murder

    Posted 1:27 am, June 27, 2013, by Daniela Montgomery and Katie Kormann, Updated at 04:14pm, June 28, 2013

    Two men are dead after being attacked by a man armed with a machete at a Fort Smith home, according to police.

    Police said Nathan Young, 32, and Brandon Prince, 39, were stabbed to death, near the intersection of North 16th and North D Street in Fort Smith, before 10 p.m. Wednesday (June 26).

    When Police arrived they said they found Prince’s body on the front porch and Young’s  body in the grass on the west side of the home.

    Police arrested Gregory Aaron Kinsey, 20, in connection to the murders.

    An eyewitness said he was on the front porch of the duplex having a beer with the two victims when Kinsey was seen walking in the alley next to the home with grocery bags in his hands.

    According to court documents, Kinsey said he was walking back from the Dollar Store when he thought he saw a person who used to date his mother. While looking through a backyard, Kinsey said he was confronted by three people who wanted to know why he was there.

    Kinsey and the victims exchanged words and Kinsey pulled out a machete to warn them, the documents state.

    Kinsey told police he didn’t think the men would let him go so he started swinging the machete, striking two of them. The men backed away, but Kinsey told police he pursued them and hit one of them in the alley, according to court documents.

    The eyewitness told police he struck Kinsey on the head with a wood board and Kinsey then fled from the scene.

    Kinsey told police he had a “clear mind” and once the fight started “it was like he was watching a movie,” the affidavit for probable cause states.

    Prince’s two children, 15, and 2, were inside the home at the time. A witness described the horror of seeing them scream for their father after the murders. The children were temporarily taken into DHS custody until their mother or another relative can be located.

    The gruesome scene was described by police as something “out of a horror movie.”

    Sgt. Daniel Grubbs with the Fort Smith Police Department said another witness said he knew Kinsey’s mother and eventually led officers to South 17th street where he was found in his mother’s garage-style apartment. Police say they also seized the machete believed to be used in the attack from that home.

    Kinsey had no prior connection to the two victims and does not have a previous record, according to Sgt. Grubbs. When asked what caused the altercation to escalate into such a brutal attack Grubbs said, “You can’t explain evil behavior like that.”

    According to Grubbs, another witness said he heard the suspect during the argument make mention of “Satan that’s within him.”

    A Fort Smith prosecutor responding to the scene told police he plans to charge Kinsey with two counts of Capital Murder. Kinsey is currently being held in the Sebastian County Detention Center.

    He is expected to be arraigned at 9 a.m. on July 3 on two counts of capital murder, according to Cpl. Patricia Sullivan.

    PHOTO 2 - 5NEWS has obtained photographs that show the inside of Gregory Aaron Kinsey’s home in Fort Smith. The 20-year-old murder suspect is accused of slashing two men to death Wednesday night with a machete. [PHOTO SOURCE:]

    Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty for Arkansas Machete Murders

    08/24/2013 14:44 PM
    08/24/2013 15:03 PM

    FORT SMITH, Ark. – The death penalty will be sought in the case against a man accused of killing two people with a machete in June.

    According to reports from KARK, Sebastian County Prosecutor Daniel Shue filed a letter Thursday saying he would seek the death penalty against Gregory Kinsey.

    Kinsey, who is charged with two counts of murder for the deaths of Nathan Young and Brandon Prince, has pleaded not guilty to both charges.

    The letter states that Shue based his decision on “the sufficiency of the evidence linking the Defendant to the offense; the seriousness of the offense; the Defendant’s culpability (including his mental state); and the Defendant’s criminal record.”

    Local law enforcement and the families of the victims were consulted before making this decision.

    According to authorities, Young and Prince were drinking beer on the front porch of a home on North D Street when Kinsey walked by carrying groceries.

    After exchanging words, police say Kinsey told the men Satan was “within him” and he pulled out a machete and hacked the men to death.


    0 0

                On this date, June 27, 2006, a Mexican Serial Killer, Angel Maturino Reséndiz A.K.A The Railroad Killer, was executed by lethal injection in Texas. I will post information about this Serial Killer from Wikipedia and other links.

    Photo of Ángel Maturino Reséndiz, who was an FBI Ten Most Wanted Fugitive.

    Ángel Leoncio Reyes Recendis
    August 1, 1959
    Izucar de Matamoros, Puebla
    June 27, 2006 (aged 45)
    Huntsville, Texas
    Criminal charge
    Serial murder, sexual assault

    Angel Maturino Reséndiz, aka The Railroad Killer/The Railway Killer/The Railcar Killer (August 1, 1959 – June 27, 2006), was an itinerant Mexican serial killer responsible for as many as 15 murders across the United States and Mexico during the 1990s. Some also involved sexual assault. He became known as "The Railroad (or Railway) Killer" as most of his crimes were committed near railroads where he had jumped off the trains he was using to travel about the country. On June 21, 1999, he briefly became the 457th fugitive listed by the FBI on its Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list before surrendering to the Texas authorities on July 13. He was 39 years old.

    Reséndiz had many aliases but was chiefly known and sought after as Rafael Resendez-Ramirez. One of his aliases, Ángel Reyes Reséndiz, was very close to the name Ángel Leoncio Reyes Recendis given on his birth certificate from Izúcar de Matamoros, Puebla, Mexico. Reséndez was in the United States illegally.

    Murders and methodology

    By illegally jumping on and off trains both within and across Mexico, Canada and the United States, generally crossing borders illegally, Reséndiz was able to evade authorities for a considerable time. He also had no fixed addresses.

    Reséndiz killed as many as 15 people with rocks, a pick axe and other blunt objects, mainly in their homes. After each murder he would linger in the homes for a while, mainly to eat; he took sentimental things and laid out the victims' driver's licenses to learn a bit about the lives he had taken. He stole jewelry and other items and gave them to his wife in Mexico. Much of the jewelry was sold or melted down. Some of the items that were removed from the homes were returned by his wife after his surrender/capture. Money, however, was sometimes left at the scene. He raped some of his female victims; rape served as a secondary intent. Most of his victims were found covered with a blanket, or otherwise obscured from immediate view.

    1. In 1986, an unidentified homeless woman was shot four times with a .38-caliber weapon. Her body was dumped in an abandoned farmhouse. Reséndiz stated that he met the woman at a homeless shelter. They took a motorcycle trip together, bringing a gun along to fire for target practice. Reséndiz said that he shot and killed the woman for disrespecting him.

    2. Resendiz stated that soon after killing the homeless woman, he shot and killed her boyfriend - a Cuban - and dumped his body in a creek somewhere between San Antonio and Uvalde. Reséndiz said that he killed the man because he was involved in black magic. This man's body has never been found, and nothing is known about him except what Reséndiz told authorities. Reséndiz confessed to these first two murders in September 2001, in hopes that doing so would speed up his execution.

    3. On July 19, 1991, the body of Michael White, 33, was found in the front yard of an abandoned downtown house. Reséndiz also confessed to this murder in September 2001. He drew a map of the crime scene and said that he killed White because he was homosexual. Police concluded in April 2006 that Reséndiz did in fact kill White. He was bludgeoned to death with a brick.

    4 and 5. March 23, 1997, Ocala, Florida, Jesse Howell, 19 years old. He was bludgeoned to death with an air hose coupling and left beside the tracks. His fiancee Wendy Von Huben, 16 years old, was raped, strangled, suffocated with his hands and duct tape and buried in a shallow grave in Sumter County, Florida.

    6. In July 1997, an unidentified transient was beaten to death with a piece of plywood in a rail yard located in the City of Colton, California. Colton Police detective Jack Morenberg worked non-stop to prove Reséndiz committed the crime but was unable to do so. Reséndiz is still considered the prime suspect in this case.

    7. August 29, 1997, Lexington, Kentucky, Christopher Maier, 21 years old. He was a University of Kentucky student walking along nearby railroad tracks with his girlfriend, Holly, when the two were attacked by Reséndiz, who bludgeoned Maier to death with a 52 pound rock. Reséndiz raped and severely beat Maier's girlfriend, who nearly died as a result. Holly Dunn Pendleton, the only known survivor, went on to appear on the Biography channel television program "I Survived", and "48 Hours: Left for Dead"; the ID channel series "Dates From Hell" (episode 8, "A Killer Night"); and her story was told in the UK newspaper, The Guardian. Currently she helps other victims of rape, sexual assault, and crime. She also founded "Holly's House" in her native Evansville, Indiana to benefit those victims of rape, sexual assault, and crime as well as working closely with RAINN.

    8. October 4, 1998, Hughes Springs, Texas, Leafie Mason, 81 years old. She was hammered to death with an antique flat iron by Reséndiz, who entered through a window. Fifty yards outside her door was the Kansas City-Southern Rail line.

    9. December 17, 1998, West University Place, Texas, Claudia Benton, 39 years old. Benton, a pediatricneurologistat the Baylor College of Medicine, was raped, stabbed, and bludgeoned repeatedly after he entered her home, which is near the Union Pacific railroad tracks. Police found her Jeep Cherokee in San Antonio and found Reséndiz's fingerprints on the steering column. After the murder, Reséndiz had a warrant for his arrest for burglary, but not yet for murder.

    10 and 11. May 2, 1999, Weimar, Texas, Norman J. Sirnic, 46 years old, and Karen Sirnic, 47 years old. The Sirnics were bludgeoned to death by a sledgehammer in a parsonage of the United Church of Christ, where Norman Sirnic was a pastor. The building was located adjacent to the Union Pacific railroad. The Sirnics' red Mazda was also found in San Antonio three weeks later, and fingerprints link their case with the Claudia Benton case.

    12. June 4, 1999, Houston, Texas, Noemi Dominguez, 26 years old. Dominguez, a schoolteacher at Houston Independent School District's Benjamin Franklin Elementary School, was bludgeoned to death with a pickaxe in her apartment near the rail tracks. Seven days later, her white Honda Civic was discovered by state troopers on the International Bridge in Del Rio, Texas.

    13. June 4, 1999, Fayette County, Texas, Josephine Konvicka, 73 years old. Konvicka was killed by a blow of the same pickaxe used to kill Noemi Dominguez on the head while she lay sleeping. Her farmhouse is not far from Weimar. Reséndiz attempted to steal the car but was unable to take it away since he could not find the car keys.

    14 and 15. June 15, 1999, Gorham, Illinois, George Morber, Sr., 80 years old, and Carolyn Frederick, 52 years old. Reséndiz shot George Morber in the head with a shotgun and then clubbed Carolyn Frederick to death with a tire iron. Their house was located only 100 yards (90 m) away from a railroad track. Later, someone spotted a man matching Reséndiz's description driving Carolyn Frederick's red pickup truck in Cairo, Illinois, which is located 40 miles south of Gorham.

    16. Reséndiz is suspected in the death of Fannie Whitney Byers, 81, who was found Dec. 10, 1998, bludgeoned to death in her Carl, Georgia home located near CSX Transportation railroad tracks with a tire rim. A Lexington couple was charged in this Barrow County murder, but Reséndiz admitted to an FBI agent that he killed Byers, according to authorities.
    He confessed to seven other killings as well, which he said took place in Mexico.

    Arrest and trial

    The police tracked down Reséndiz's sister, Manuela. She feared that her brother might kill someone else or be killed by the FBI, so she agreed to help the police. A Texas Ranger, Drew Carter, accompanied by Manuela and a spiritual guide met up with Reséndiz on a bridge connecting El Paso, Texas, with Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua. (Manuela was originally reluctant to cooperate, but Carter convinced her otherwise.) Reséndiz surrendered to Carter.

    During a court appearance, Reséndiz accused Carter of lying under oath because his (Reséndiz's) family was under the impression that he would be spared the death penalty; however, Reséndiz's ultimate fate would be decided by the jury, not Carter.

    In 1999, former Texas Attorney General Jim Mattox – wary of the controversy miring the many confessions and recantations by Henry Lee Lucas – remarked of Reséndiz that "I hope they don't start pinning on him every crime that happens near a railroad track."

    Reséndiz would be tried and sentenced to death for Benton's murder.

    He received the Texas Department of Criminal Justice ID#999356.

    Mental health

    On June 21, 2006, a Houston judge ruled that Reséndiz was mentally competent to be executed. Upon hearing the judge's ruling, Reséndiz said, "I don't believe in death. I know the body is going to go to waste. But me, as a person, I'm eternal. I'm going to be alive forever." He also described himself as half-man and half-angel and told psychiatrists he couldn't be executed because he didn't believe he could die.

    Statements like the above have led specialists to conclude that Reséndiz was not competent to be executed. In the words of a bilingual psychiatrist who evaluated Reséndiz on two occasions in 2006, “delusions had completely taken over [Reséndiz’s] thought processes.”


    Despite an appeal pending with the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Reséndiz had the death warrant signed for the murder of Claudia Benton. He was housed in the Polunsky Unit in West Livingston, Texas.

    He was executed in the Huntsville Unit in Huntsville, Texas, on June 27, 2006, by lethal injection. In his final statement, Reséndiz said:

    "I want to ask if it is in your heart to forgive me. You don't have to. I know I allowed the Devil to rule my life. I just ask you to forgive me and ask the Lord to forgive me for allowing the devil to deceive me. I thank God for having patience in me. I don't deserve to cause you pain. You do not deserve this. I deserve what I am getting."

    Reséndiz was pronounced dead at 8:05 p.m. CDT (01:05 UTC on June 28, 2006).

    Claudia Benton's husband George was present at the execution and said Reséndiz was "evil contained in human form, a creature without a soul, no conscience, no sense of remorse, no regard for the sanctity of human life."


    The Reséndiz case was featured in four criminal documentaries:
    • Crime Stories on the Discovery Channel
    • Infamous Murders, "Death in the Country", on The History Channel
    • Murder She Solved: True Crime, "Episode 13: Railway Killer", on Oprah Winfrey Network (Canadian TV channel)
    • The FBI Files, "Tracks of a Killer", on the Biography Channel (2003)
    Reséndiz also featured on the December 11, 2010, episode of 48 Hours Mystery(CBS), "Live to Tell: The Railroad Killer", when Holly Dunn shared the story of her attack. The specific murder of Christopher Maier and the woman (Holly Dunn), who accompanied Christopher on the night of his murder and the torture she prolonged was shown on the television show "Dates from Hell"

    In the episode of Criminal Minds, "Catching Out", features a serial killer named Armando Salinas who appears to have been based on Reséndiz (Like Reséndiz, he was a Hispanic drifter who travelled along railroads and killed the majority of his victims by bludgeoning them).


    0 0

                100 years ago on this date, June 28, 1914, Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by Bosnia Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip, the casus belli of World War I.

                To remember this event, I will post information about the assassination from Wikipedia.

    Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria (1863-1914) and his wife Sophie von Hohenberg (1901-1990), by a Serb, on 28 June 1914. Illustration from French newspaper Le Petit Journal. July 12, 1914.

    The Latin Bridge in Sarajevo, close to the site of the assassination.
    28 June 1914
    Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg

    On 28 June 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir presumptive to the Austro-Hungarian throne, and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were shot dead in Sarajevo by Gavrilo Princip, one of a group of six assassins (five Serbs and one Bosnian Muslim) coordinated by Danilo Ilić. The political objective of the assassination was to break off Austria-Hungary's south-Slav provinces so they could be combined into a Yugoslavia. The assassins' motives were consistent with the movement that later became known as Young Bosnia. The assassination led directly to the First World Warwhen Austria-Hungary subsequently issued an ultimatum against Serbia, which was partially rejected. Austria-Hungary then declared war, marking the outbreak of the war.

    On top of these Serbian military conspirators was Chief of Serbian Military Intelligence Dragutin Dimitrijević, his righthand man Major Vojislav Tankosić, and spy Rade Malobabić. Major Tankosić armed the assassins with bombs and pistols and trained them. The assassins were given access to the same clandestine network of safe-houses and agents that Rade Malobabić used for the infiltration of weapons and operatives into Austria-Hungary.

    The assassins, the key members of the clandestine network, and the key Serbian military conspirators who were still alive were arrested, tried, convicted and punished. Those who were arrested in Bosnia were tried in Sarajevo in October 1914. The other conspirators were arrested and tried before a Serbian kangaroo court on the French-controlled Salonika Front in 1916–1917 on unrelated false charges; Serbia executed three of the top military conspirators. Much of what is known about the assassinations comes from these two trials and related records.

    0 0
  • 06/27/14--14:41: OPERATION RED WINGS

  •             On this date, June 28, 2005, Operation Red Wings, a counterterrorism mission in Kunar province, Afghanistan, involving four U.S. Navy SEAL members, took place. Three of the SEALs were killed during the operation, whilst a fourth was protected by local villagers and was rescued by the US military. In addition, an MH-47 Chinook helicopter carrying 8 Nightstalkers - members of the Army's elite 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) - and 8 US Navy SEALs was shot down while attempting to come to their rescue to provide extraction in the mountains of the Kunar province, Afghanistan.

                I will post information about this mission from Wikipedia.

    050628-N-0000X-001 United States Navy file photo of Navy SEALs operating in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. From left to right, Sonar Technician (Surface) 2nd Class Matthew G. Axelson, of Cupertino, Calif; Senior Chief Information Systems Technician Daniel R. Healy, of Exeter, N.H.; Quartermaster 2nd Class James Suh, of Deerfield Beach, Fla.; Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Marcus Luttrell; Machinist’s Mate 2nd Class Shane Patton, of Boulder City, Nev.; and Lt. Michael P. Murphy, of Patchogue, N.Y. With the exception of Luttrell, all were killed June 28, 2005, by enemy forces while supporting Operation Red Wings.

    SEALs prior to Operation Red Wings (L to R): Matthew Axelson, Daniel R. Healy, James Suh, Marcus Luttrell, Eric S. Patton, Michael P. Murphy

    Memorial plaque in memory of the U.S. Army Night Stalkers killed in Operation Red Wings.
    Operation Red Wings
    Part of the War in Afghanistan
    June 27, 2005 – mid-July 2005
    Sawtalo Sar Mountain, Shuryek (Matin) Valley, Korangal Valley, Pech District, Kunar Province, Afghanistan
    Temporary U.S. Pyrrhic victory; long-term insurgent victory
    • Insurgent forces temporarily withdraw from the area while U.S. forces sustain heavy casualties
    • Insurgent forces return three weeks later
    United States
    • U.S. Navy
    • U.S. Army
    • U.S. Marines
    Local anti-coalition militants
    • Local pro-Taliban nationals
    Commanders and leaders
    12 Navy SEALs
    8 Night Stalkers
    additional helicopter crews
    2 MH-47 Chinook
    2 UH-60 Black Hawk
    2 AH-64D Apache helicopters
    Ranging from 8–10 fighters to 70–100 depending on source
    Casualties and losses
    19 killed, 1 wounded,
    1 Chinook helicopter shot down
    Unknown, with the highest estimate 35 killed
    Unknown number of wounded

    Operation Red Wings (often incorrectly called "Operation Redwing" and/or "Operation Red Wing") was a combined / joint military operation during the War in Afghanistan (2001–present) in the Pech District of Afghanistan's Kunar Province, on the slopes of a mountain named Sawtalo Sar, approximately 20 miles west of Kunar's provincial capital of Asadabad, in late June through mid-July 2005. Operation Red Wings was intended to disrupt local anti-Coalition Militia (ACM) activity, thus contributing to regional stability and thereby facilitating the Afghani Parliament elections scheduled for September, 2005. At the time, anti-Coalition Militia activity in the region was carried out most notably by a small group led by a local man from Nangarhar Province, Ahmad Shah, who had aspirations of regional Islamic fundamentalist prominence. He and his small group were among the primary targets of the operation.

    The operation was conceived by the 2nd Battalion of the 3rd Marine Regiment (2/3) of the U.S. Marine Corps based on an operational model developed by 2/3's sister battalion, the 3rd Battalion of the 3rd Marine Regiment (3/3) which had preceded the 2nd Battalion in their combat deployment. It utilized special operations forces (SOF) units and assets, including members of the U.S. Navy SEALsand the U.S. Army Special Operations Command's160th Special Operation's Aviation Regiment (Airborne)(SOAR(A)), for the opening phase of the operation. A team of four Navy SEALs, tasked for surveillance and reconnaissanceof a group of structures known to be used by Ahmad Shahand his men, fell into an ambush by Shah and his group just hours after inserting into the area by fastrope from an MH-47helicopter. Three of the four SEALs were killed and a quick reaction force helicopter sent in for their aid was shot down with a rocket propelled grenade fired from an RPG-7, killing all eight U.S. Navy SEALs and all eight U.S. Army Special Operations aviators on board.

    The operation then became known as "Red Wings II" and lasted approximately three more weeks, during which time the bodies of the deceased SEALs and Army Special Operations aviators were recovered and the only surviving member of the initial team, Marcus Luttrell, was rescued. While the goal of the operation was partially achieved, Ahmad Shah regrouped in Pakistan, and returned with more men and armament, aided by the notoriety he gained from the Red Wings ambush and helicopter shootdown. Several weeks later, Shah's group in Kunar Province was stricken to a point of inoperability and Shah was seriously wounded, during Operation Whalers, in August 2005.

    0 0

    On this date, June 29, 2010, Officer David Lamar Curtis and Jeffrey Alan Kocab of Tampa Police Department, Florida, were both killed in the line of duty. Let us honor these two fallen cops and thank God that some justice was served, as the cop killer had been sentenced to death. I got the information about them from ODMP and please go to the Unit 1012 Blog to hear from their loved ones.

    David Lamar Curtis
    Tampa Police Department, Florida
    End of Watch: Tuesday, June 29, 2010

    Bio & Incident Details
    Tour:3 years, 8 months
    Badge #Not available
    Incident Date:6/29/2010
    Weapon:Gun; Unknown type
    Suspect:Sentenced to death

    Jeffrey Alan Kocab
    Tampa Police Department, Florida
    End of Watch: Tuesday, June 29, 2010

    Bio & Incident Details
    Tour:1 year, 2 months
    Badge #Not available
    Incident Date:6/29/2010
    Weapon:Gun; Unknown type
    Suspect:Sentenced to death

    Officer David Curtis and Police Officer Jeffrey Kocab were shot and killed while attempting to make an arrest at a traffic stop at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and 50th Street.

    Officer Curtis stopped a vehicle because it did not have a visible license plate. He called for an additional unit to assist him because a male passenger in the car was wanted on a misdemeanor charge for writing a worthless check. When Officer Kocab arrived, he and Officer Curtis attempted to arrest the suspect. The suspect drew a weapon and shot both officers at close range.

    A witness called 911 to report the shooting. Officer Kocab died shortly after arriving at the hospital and Officer Curtis was pronounced dead a few hours later.

    The suspect surrendered and was taken into custody four days later. He was charged with five counts of first degree murder when it was determined he had committed three other murders in Tampa. On November 15th, 2013, he was convicted of murdering both officers and the jury subsequently recommended he receive the death penalty. He was formally sentenced to death on May 30th, 2014.

    Officer Curtis had served with the Tampa Police Department for three years and eight months and had previously served with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. He is survived by his wife and four young sons.

    Officer Kocab served with the Tampa Police Department for 14 months and had previously served with the Plant City Police Department. He is survived by his expectant wife and is buried in Myrtle Hill Memorial Park, Tampa, Florida.

    0 0

    On this date, June 30, 1882, Charles J. Guiteau was executed by hanging for the assassination of the 20th President of the U.S.A, James A. Garfield on July 2, 1881.  Guiteau was executed less than a year after the assassination and after 10 months after the President died on September 19, 1881. What a swift and sure execution! Most important of all, he is guilty beyond any doubt.

    Please go to this previous blog post to learn more about this assassin.

    1881 political cartoon showing Guiteau holding a gun and a note that says "An office or your life!" The caption for the cartoon reads "Model Office Seeker."

    An engraving of James A. Garfield's assassination, published in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper. The caption reads "Washington, D.C.—The attack on the President's life—Scene in the ladies' room of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad depot—The arrest of the assassin / from sketches by our special artist's A. Berghaus and C. Upham."
    President Garfield is at center right, leaning after being shot. He is supported by Secretary of State James G. Blaine who wears a light colored top hat. To left, assassin Charles Guiteau is restrained by members of the crowd, one of whom is about to strike him with a cane.

    0 0

    On this date, June 30, 2011, an Arizonan pedophile, Richard Lynn Bible was executed in Arizona for the June 6, 1988 murder of 9-year-old Jennifer Wilson.

    Richard Lynn Bible

    Jennifer Wilson

    0 0

                On this date, June 30, 2003, a Special Forces Indonesian counter-terrorism squad, named Detachment 88 was formed. I will post information about them from Wikipedia.

    Detachment 88 logo

    Special Forces
    Domestic Counter-Terrorism and Law Enforcement
    400 Policemen
    Part of
    Under control of Mobile Brigade of Indonesian National Police
    Indonesian National Police Headquarters, Jakarta
    Delta 88, Densus 88
    • Death of Azahari Husin
    • 2007 Poso Raid,
    • Arrest of Abu Dujana
    • Death of Noordin Mohammad Top
    Brig. Gen. Pranowo

    Special Detachment 88 (Detasemen Khusus 88), Delta 88, or Densus 88, is a Special Forces Indonesian counter-terrorism squad, and part of the Indonesian National Police. Formed on 30 June 2003, after the 2002 Bali bombings, it is funded, equipped, and trained by the United States and Australia.

    The unit has worked with considerable success against the jihadi terrorist cells linked to Central Java–based Islamist movement Jemaah Islamiyah.


    Detachment 88 was formed after the 2002 Bali bombingsand became operational in 2003. The name of the organization is a result of a senior Indonesian police official mishearing "ATA" in a briefing on the US Department of State's Anti-Terrorist Assistance program as "88".

    He thought it would be a good name as the number 8 is a lucky number in Asia and other officials lacked the courage to correct him.

    However, according to Brig. Gen. Pranowo, the Indonesian Police Headquarter Anti-Terror Director, the number "88" is taken from the number of Australian fatalities in the 2002 Bali bombing, the largest number from a single country.

    Detachment 88 has disrupted the activities of Central Java–based Islamist movement Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) and many of its top operatives have been arrested or killed. Abu Dujana, suspected leader of JI's military wing and its possible emir, was apprehended on June 9, 2007. Azahari Husin was shot and killed in 2005. The Indonesian terrorist organization suffered a further blow when arguably its last surviving and at-large prominent figure, Noordin Mohammad Topwas killed in a shootout with Detachment 88 on September 17, 2009 at Solo, Central Java.

    Detachment 88 is assisted by foreign agencies, including the Australian Federal Police, in forensic sciences including DNA analysis, and communications monitoring. In pre-emptive strikes in Java, the unit thwarted attack plans to material assembly.

    Detachment 88 operators were involved in an operation in Poso, where 10 people, including a policeman, were killed in a gunfight during a high-risk arrest operation on January 22, 2007.

    In 2007, Detachment 88 arrested and interrogated West Papuan human rights lawyer, Iwangin Sabar Olif, and charged him with incitement and insulting the head of state, because he sent an SMS text message critical of the Indonesian military and president. Detachment 88's operations include using US intelligence officers in its Jakarta headquarters to tap the phone calls and read the SMS text messages of Indonesian civilians.


    This special unit is being funded by the US government through its State Department's Diplomatic Security Service (DSS). The unit is currently being trained in Megamendung, 50 km south of Jakarta, by the CIA, FBI, and US Secret Service.

    Most of these instructors were ex–US special forces personnel. Training is also carried out with the aid of Australian Special Forces and various intelligence agencies.

    Detachment 88 is designed to become an anti-terrorist unit that is capable to counter various terrorist threats, from bomb threats to hostage situations. This 400-personnel strong special force went to full operation in 2005. They consist of investigators, explosive experts, and an attack unit that includes snipers.


    Detachment 88 officers are frequently seen armed with a M4A1 carbinewhen an operation or a raid is conducted while the Glock 17 pistol is used as the standard sidearm.

    They also use a varied arsenal of weapons such as the Heckler & Koch MP5submachine gun, Steyr AUG assault rifles, Remington 700 and Armalite AR-10 sniper rifles, Ithaca 37 and Remington 870 shotguns, Heckler & Koch HK416 rifles.


    An early "third generation" Glock 17